Saturday, June 20, 2009

WHY AM I HERE? (published 6-20-2009)

Why have I started this blog?
    · Frustration · A desire for change
    · A need for authenticity
    · An interest in dialogue
    · A search for deeper meaning
    · A wish to have my voice heard
    · An opportunity to ask the questions
    · An unwillingness to accept the status quo
    · A desire for fellowship with like-minded souls
 
First, I am frustrated by the status quo, defend the faith, mentality in the Church of Christ. Open conversation in the reconsideration of established positions, without labeling, occurs rarely.
 
Second, I desire change. I cannot remain frustrated. I must influence change--in attitude, in perspective, in approach, in understanding. I cannot hide any longer.
 
Third, I need authenticity, in life generally and in spiritual matters particularly. Why do we go through the motions? Why do we continue, knowing that something is just not right? We are deceiving ourselves. Authenticity in spiritual matters must be realized.
 
Fourth, I am interested in dialogue, especially with those who share my mindset. We are not alone. We must not be afraid to speak, to be heard. Our dialogue must be honest and open. I do not seek unloving harsh debate.
 
Fifth, I search for deeper meaning in my spiritual life, as well as in life in general. I seek deeper understanding of God’s nature and will. Religious platitudes are insufficient, and they ring empty.
 
Sixth, I must have my voice heard! For too long, I have been silent. I have hidden. I have avoided. I have not wished to be attacked, labeled, or criticized. Others feel the same way. I will rock the boat. I must be true to myself, regardless.
 
Seventh, I must have an opportunity to ask questions, to seek answers. I will not allow others to intimidate me to silence. We must have freedom to discuss, in an open, loving manner, those points that burn, and are buried, deeply inside our souls.
 
Eighth, I am unwilling to accept the status quo any longer! Going along with the crowd is easier, but it is not always right. The time to change, to improve, to rethink is now.
 
Ninth, ultimately, I desire fellowship with like-minded souls. We should seek each other out, talk, network, and share. I envision scores, hundreds, thousands of souls coming together, as the fresh winds guide us. We shall find a new movement.
 
These are my nine theses. Please join in!

8 comments:

Kringle said...

Wow... totally randomly fell upon your blog but I found it very intresting. ... Perhaps the question, how do you plan to find your deeper spiritual journey? I have always found prayer to be powerful, yet too it is interesting to hear and learn of that which helps folks to seek a deeper faith or spiritual meaning.
Kringle

M. Fearghail said...

Thank you, Kringle, for stopping by!

This blog is an effort to seek those, especially in my area, who share an interest in open dialogue, with loving critique of the Church of Christ.

Of course, I have been reflecting more deeply and independently on the meaning of scripture also.

I suppose that this is how my deeper spiritual journey begins.

XMAN said...

ran into your comment at this link - http://www.gracecentered.com/extremes_in_churches_of_Christ.htm - and followed it here.
well, what have you found in Jesus in the last four years since you wrote "why..."?
we have a similar background. I went to FHC, and HGSR, preached several years in COC's, got out of ministry, and now attend a community church with roots in the Holiness groups.
just wondering where and how you are, brother!
God bless.

M. Fearghail said...

Amazing! Almost four years have passed, to the day, since I penned this article. Unfortunately, my blog was lost in the backwaters of the Internet, as the desired interaction and discussion have no come forth. The Hit Counter does not lie!

XMAN asks what have I found in Jesus in the interim. Hum, good question. He’s been there when I needed him the most. Otherwise, my lovely bride and I still await his leading, to the right church family and to the higher calling and purpose of life. Waiting is not fun, but we wait.

As far as trying to find that church family, my bride and I attended the non-denominational church that has roots in the Restoration Movement for a good while, as mentioned in “Why I Left.” The group, however, was targeted primarily to the urbanite, college-aged populace, which we are not, and their musical style was not to our liking. The drive was too far as well.

We then drifted to a relatively nearby “mega church,” as I believe the hip, Christian lingo would describe it. Calling itself non-denominational, it has ties to the Baptist Church. After a while, the realization of how the funds that supported the impressive, in earthly standards, facility and the worship production could be better used in the true mission of the church, according to Christ, walked out feet out the door. I have felt a greater sense of church family with a group that met in an often unheated, rental hall in a foreign country than in that elegant setting.

Now, I suppose you could say that we have our own little “house church” on Sundays.

The last thesis in “Why Am I Here?” still rings true these four years later: “Ninth, ultimately, I desire fellowship with like-minded souls. We should seek each other out, talk, network, and share. I envision scores, hundreds, thousands, of souls coming together, as the fresh winds guide us. We shall find a new movement.”

I seek particularly those in the Knoxville, Tennessee area who have Restoration Movement ties and who wish to network.

Is anyone out there listening?

Anonymous said...

Have you talked to anyone at http://www.northknoxchurch.com/

I know they are working on a new website, so all they have up is a front page and contact info.

M. Fearghail said...

Thank you, Anonymous, for leaving your comment. I’m glad the ol’ website gets a hit from time to time. I wish the results of my effort to interact with others via this site were not so underwhelming.

Some years ago, my wife and I visited the church, to which you refer, on a Sunday morning. We arrived about the time worship started. We felt ignored and unwelcome. No one greeted us, or even smiled and nodded, as we took our seats. The sermon was a re-hashed, bash-those-who-disagree-with-us diatribe from 25 years ago. As we left, I do not recall anyone thanking us for visiting. We did not return.

Of course, the church may have renewed itself since then, or recently. I have a draft e-mail started, to the address from their website. We’ll see what happens. The location is not too far away. I hope you have given me a good lead. I’ll try to post again, to let you know the outcome.

M. Fearghail said...

In follow up to my 10/27/13 comment, as promised, here is an update: I have received a most encouraging reply to my e-mail to northknoxchurch.com. The reply was a refreshing breeze. As the interaction moves forward, I’ll try to provide further update. Thanks, again, Anonymous, for the suggestion!

M. Fearghail said...

Update: Another dead end. The group is friendly on the surface, but they don't seem to care if we show up or not. Whatever. Move on!